Government College Chamba was established in in the year 1958. The College is affiliated to Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla. GC Chamba was accredited with ‘B+’ grade by NAAC in August 2016. Yet another addition to the echelons of well-established Government College Chamba, has been setup with the single minded perseverance of carrying forward the legacy of its parent organization – that of being an institute which is a compendium of holistic education and over all development of a child.
Geographically, Chamba is bounded on north-West by Jammu and Kashmir, on the North-East and East by Ladakh area of Jammu and Kashmir State and Lahaul and Bara-Bhangal area of Himachal Pradesh, on the south-east and south by the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh and Gurdaspur district of Punjab. In circa 500 AD, a legendary hero called Maru, migrated to north-west from Kalpagram (a mythical place from where majority of the Rajput dynasties claim their descent) and founded Brahampura (Bharmour) in the valley of the Budhal River, seventy five kilometer to the east of present Chamba town. His successors continued to rule over the country from that capital city for over three hundred years until Sahil Verman shifted his capital from Brahampura to the more centrally located plateau in the lower Ravi Valley. He named the town after his beloved daughter Champa. His Rani voluntarily offered herself a sacrifice to bring water for the town’s people through a running channel originating from a place called Maloona. The layout of Chamba seems to be in conformity with the ancient texts. From this period onward, the Rajas of Chamba continued to rule in an uninterrupted and direct line of descent.
In the field or education, the mile stone was achieved in 1958 when the College was opened in the heart of town in Akhand Chandi Palace. The college is perched near the foot of gentle slopping valley overlooking Chowgan a big rectangular ground and the hub of various activities. It holds a majestic picturesque view in the densely populated Chamba town.